Bp Bena March 2017
"Meeting Together Often" Hebrews 10:24-25
Bishop Dave Bena
CANA East Synod anyone?
There was a time, in the early 90s, when I was a priest in a diocese that had an annual Diocesan Convention (Synod). Eventually I found out that it was an occasion of deep silent prayer by almost every delegate. We were all saying the same prayer - "OH LORD, PLEASE GET THIS OVER WITH!!!!" The whole approach seemed to be directed at doing the business of the diocese, with microphones set up around the room so that people could argue over, in my opinion, insignificant periods, commas, and "Be it resolved..." statements.
Praise the Lord, we are not in that business at CANA East Synods. Here's why I am excited about our coming Synod:
1) Wonderful worship. Heartfelt times when we as the Body of Christ can come together to honor Jesus as King and Lord. And even ordinations thrown in!
2) Family reunion. Since we are so spread out geographically, this gives us the opportunity to fellowship with brothers and sisters who love the Lord as we do. Well worth the financial cost to be there!
3) Education and Faith Building. Two outstanding guest speakers will teach us about the value of five hundred years of orthodox Anglicanism. Meet our ACNA Archbishop Foley Beach!
4) Opportunities to have our prayer needs met by compassionate prayer teams.
5) Lots of events which will draw us closer to the Lord and to each other.
6) And diocesan business NOT filled with arguments over commas, periods and insignificant "be it resolved...."
If you haven't yet registered, do so now. This synod is open to all in the diocese, whether delegates or not.
See you in Binghamton May 4-6!